Thursday, March 6, 2014

Watchmen (2009)


IMDb plot summary: In an alternate 1985 where former superheroes exist, the murder of a colleague sends active vigilante Rorschach into his own sprawling investigation, uncovering something that could completely change the course of history as we know it.
Directed by Zack Snyder. Starring Malin Akerman, Billy Crudup, Patrick Wilson, and Jackie Earle Haley.

This was a long movie, but, for the most part, a very engaging one. The premise was extremely interesting, the story unfolded in a compelling way, the production design was great (this movie had some AMAZING visuals), the characters were layered and fascinating...

I found it less problematic than V for Vendetta, the other Alan Moore comic adaptation I watched for this movie challenge, largely because the movie seemed to be echoing Dr. Manhattan's feelings on the huge amounts of violence being shed in the name of freedom/peace/something: "Without condoning or condemning, I understand." In V for Vendetta, I felt the movie was urging me to cheer for the killers. In this movie, I could just let it unfold and what happened, happened.

I'm not sure if the nature of the movie would hold up so well to a rewatch, or whether knowing all the plot points would make it seem longer and more tedious the second time around, but I thoroughly enjoyed my first viewing. 4 stars.

Flickchart: #642 out of 2052, below We're Not Married! and above Once Upon a Mattress.

Rent it on Amazon.

3 comments:

Robert said...

Did you mean to post this review on the fifth anniversary of the film? If so, awesome, because you're the only other person I know that marked the anniversary. If not...that's still kind of amazing for the coincidence factor. Great review!

Hannah K said...

What? No! That was a complete accident. That's a fantastic coincidence, though. Thanks for letting me know!

Robert said...

Wow! That's kind of mind blowing!!!