Saturday, March 29, 2014

American Hustle (2013)


IMDb plot summary: A con man, Irving Rosenfeld, along with his seductive partner Sydney Prosser, is forced to work for a wild FBI agent, Richie DiMaso, who pushes them into a world of Jersey powerbrokers and mafia.
Directed by David O. Russell. Starring Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, and Jennifer Lawrence.

I have to say, I am a little surprised at all the Oscar attention this got, now that I've seen it. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty good movie -- solid, funny, clever script, with good acting from the whole cast, extremely atmospheric visuals and a smartly-chosen soundtrack -- but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of Oscar-y substance here. It's a well-done con movie, but that's about it. Unlike David O. Russell's two previous Best Picture nominees, I don't feel like this is trying to say anything as much as it is just trying to be a lot of fun. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that. I enjoyed the ride. I just don't see myself remembering much about this movie further down the line. It's flashy and stylish and fun, but not that memorable.

3 stars.

Flickchart: #917 out of 2084, below Revolutionary Road and above Quills.

Rent it digitally on Amazon.

No comments: