Sunday, March 2, 2014

Nebraska (2013)


IMDb plot summary: An aging, booze-addled father makes the trip from Montana to Nebraska with his estranged son in order to claim a million-dollar Mega Sweepstakes Marketing prize.
Directed by Alexander Payne. Starring Bruce Dern, Will Forte, and June Squibb.

This movie sort of... sneaked up on me. 45 minutes in or so, I was not enjoying myself. The dialogue has a weird unnatural quality to it, not aided by most of the side performances, and I wasn't all that interested in the central emotional conflict. (Not to mention the fact that films about small-town Americana mostly just fill me with a desperate, desperate desire to move out of the Midwest.) But by the end, it had somehow worked its way into my heart and I *did* care. It has a quiet charm that takes awhile to get going, but it's worth it in the end. 3 stars.

Flickchart: #836 out of 2045, below Rocky and above Hamlet (2000).

Rent on Amazon for $3.99.

No comments: