Thursday, March 20, 2014

Imitation of Life (1959)


IMDb plot summary: A struggling young actress with a six-year-old daughter sets up housekeeping with a homeless black widow and her light-skinned eight-year-old daughter who rejects her mother by trying to pass for white.
Directed by Douglas Sirk. Starring Lana Turner, Juanita Moore, Sandra Dee, and Susan Kohner.

There are a few overly melodramatic moments in this movie, but overall it's an interesting and solid script about the lives of these two women and their daughters. I will say, there's clearly one storyline here that is more interesting than the other -- I was fascinated by the story of Annie and her daughter, which touched on all sorts of issues of identity and family and kept me interested all the way through. The story of actress mom Lora was just less fascinating, although fairly well told. I'm not sure this movie is going to stick with me for very long, but if it does, it'll be the Annie/Sarah Jane plotline that I remember.

3 stars.

Flickchart: #831 out of 2071, below The Player and above Broken Arrow.

Buy a digital copy on Amazon.

No comments: