Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)


IMDb plot summary: An urbane fox cannot resist returning to his farm raiding ways and then must help his community survive the farmers' retaliation.
Directed by Wes Anderson. Starring George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Jason Schwartzmann, and Bill Murray.

Have you ever had a conversation with somebody where you can understand all the individual words they're saying, but the resulting sentences don't seem to make any sense in the context of the conversation? You're not exactly sure how to ask for clarification because you're not even sure what they're saying, so you just kind of nod and say, "Sure, uh-huh, yeah," while the whole time you're thinking, "I DON'T GET IT."

That was kind of my experience with this film. I like some Wes Anderson (Moonrise Kingdom and Royal Tenenbaums, though that one took two tries) but a LOT of the time I just don't understand him. The story structure of this movie is odd, the dialogue is confusing, and I keep feeling like I'm missing inside jokes. The stop-motion puppets aren't visually expressive enough to work with dialogue as dependent on tiny nuance as Anderson's, frequently leaving me with a startling disconnect between what the characters say and what they look like.

I like the premise -- a sort of animal-based heist movie. But then as it played out, I just found myself frustrated trying to figure out why anyone was saying or doing anything they said or did. Add this to the list of Wes Anderson movies I just find awkward to watch.

2 stars.

Flickchart: #1281 out of 2078, below Fantastic Voyage and above Bus Stop. This is too high because apparently the 1200s in my Flickchart are ALL goofy. It went up against like 3 movies that should be much lower.

Rent it digitally on Amazon.

No comments: