Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Shaolin Soccer (2001)


IMDb plot summary: A young Shaolin follower reunites with his discouraged brothers to form a soccer team using their martial art skills to their advantage.
Directed by Stephen Chow. Starring Stephen Chow, Wei Zhao, Mat Tat Ng, and Yin Tse.

Films like this are one of the main reasons I've loved doing my movie challenge this year. I would almost certainly NEVER have picked up this movie to watch on my own. But it turned out to be an extremely pleasant surprise. It is awesomely ridiculous, but often laugh-out-loud funny. I would watch way more sports movies if they were like this. The only thing I didn't really care for was the love story, which hit some weird notes for me comedically and frequently left me confused more than anything else, but overall, this was a really entertaining movie. One of the biggest surprises of the year so far.

(About halfway through, I thought to myself, "This feels a lot like Kung Fu Hustle," which I also enjoyed a surprising amount. I didn't even realize it was the same writer/director. Clearly I should hunt down more of his stuff.) 4 stars.

Flickchart: #588 out of 2060, below Limitless and above Guys and Dolls.

Rent it digitally on Amazon.

No comments: