Tuesday, March 11, 2014

12 Years a Slave (2013)


IMDb plot summary: In the antebellum United States, Solomon Northup, a free black man from upstate New York, is abducted and sold into slavery.
Directed by Steve McQueen. Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, Lupita Nyong'o, and Brad Pitt.

This movie didn't blow me away, but it told a solid, powerful story well. There were times when it felt like the message overpowered the characters themselves, but overall it stuck to simply putting the narrative on screen, and I think it worked well. Some very solid performances here (although I STILL cannot identify Michael Fassbender's face -- he's a good actor, why is he so visually forgettable for me?). Whether it deserved its recent Best Picture win or not, it's certainly worth watching, though I think for me it might end up falling into that category of "good movies I forget about within a year." 3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #762 out of 2058, below Saving Private Ryan and above Nine Lives.

Rent it digitally on Amazon.

No comments: