Saturday, March 8, 2014

La Haine (1995)


IMDb plot summary: After local youth Abdel is beaten unconscious by police, a riot ensues on his estate during which a policeman loses his gun. The gun is found by Vinz who threatens he will kill a cop if Abdel dies.
Directed by Mathieu Kassovitz. Starring Vincent Cassel, Hubert Koundé, and Saïd Taghmaoui.

This is one of those movies where I can objectively stand back, look at the film, and say, "This is a great movie," but I had very little emotional reaction to it at all, so it clearly wasn't a great movie to *me*. I liked the ending and how it all finally culminated, but the rest of the movie was a bit of a struggle to sit through. Kudos to Vincent Cassel, though -- his performance was my favorite throughout and even when I was bored with what was actually happening in the movie, I found him interesting to watch.

I'm never sure how to rate movies like this that are clearly good although I didn't like them. 2.5 stars?

Flickchart: #1286 out of 2055, below State of the Union and above Side Effects.

Rent it digitally on Amazon.

No comments: