Monday, March 17, 2014

Paths of Glory (1957)


IMDb plot summary: When soldiers in World War I refuse to continue with an impossible attack, their superior officers decide to make an example of them.
Directed by Stanley Kubrick. Starring Kirk Douglas, George Macready, Ralph Meeker, and Adolphe Menjou.

A day after watching my least favorite Kurosawa film, I discover what I'd happily call my favorite Kubrick. I frequently have a love/hate relationship with his films -- my thoughts are usually "I would have LOVED it, if only this part hadn't been there" -- but here it's all love.

This is a taut, compelling narrative that subtly pulls out two fascinating characters. In war movies, I frequently struggle to put personalities to faces, but General Mireau and Colonel Dax are written and played to perfection here, allowing me to see them for who they are as both people and soldiers. Their interactions represent the two sides of the story brilliantly.

(Minor spoilers for a scene at the end.) Just about every little moment in this works, but I have to mention that I was particularly moved by the long walk down to the firing squad. A truly heart-wrenching scene, and one that I suspect will stick with me for some time. (/Spoiler)

4.5 stars.

Flickchart: #325 out of 2066, below The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and above Clue.

Rent it digitally on Amazon.

No comments: