Saturday, March 1, 2014

Blue Jasmine (2013)


IMDb plot summary: A New York socialite, deeply troubled and in denial, arrives in San Francisco to impose upon her sister. She looks a million, but isn't bringing money, peace, or love...
Directed by Woody Allen. Starring Cate Blanchett, Alec Baldwin, Sally Hawkins, Bobby Cannavale and Peter Sarsgaard.

Oh, it's been such a long time since Woody Allen did an awesome drama, but this is definitely one. Jasmine's character is a fascinating one to watch on screen the entire time, and Cate Blanchett fully deserves her Oscar nomination for this role. It's a superb screenplay with wonderful acting that kept my attention completely the whole way through. I still think Allen writes some of the best female roles in all filmdom, and both Jasmine and Ginger are examples of that here. Aside from the unexpectedly brilliant Midnight in Paris, I'd say this is Allen's best film since Bullets Over Broadway in 1994. (I mean, I loved Scoop, but I'm not going to argue it was a GOOD movie.) 4.5 stars.

Flickchart: #392 out of 2044, below Back to the Future Part III and above E.T.

Rent on Amazon for $3.99.

No comments: