Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Inn of the Sixth Happiness (1958)


IMDb plot summary: Based on the true life exploits of Gladys Aylward who set off to China to work as a missionary and teacher.
Directed by Mark Robson. Starring Ingrid Bergman, Curd Jürgens, and Robert Donat.

I was not expecting to be as drawn into the story as I was. Much of this movie's charm is due to Ingrid Bergman, whose performance exudes the perseverance and compassion that is so central to her character. As long as this movie is, it moves along at a fairly quick pace, telling the story in a way that doesn't seem drawn-out or slow. Knowing this is based on a real woman was fascinating to me as well -- there were a few moments that felt far-fetched, but now I want to read the book and see how close they were to the actual story. I also very much liked that the story's romance was a distant subplot, since there was potential in the middle for it to take over the whole story. Overall, it's a charming, pleasantly inspirational movie, and I enjoyed watching it.

3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #670 out of 2074, below Gandhi and above Don Jon.

Rent it digitally on Amazon.

No comments: