Monday, March 3, 2014

Black Snake Moan (2006)


IMDb plot summary: A God-fearing bluesman takes to a wild young woman who, as a victim of childhood sexual abuse, looks everywhere for love, never quite finding it.
Directed by Craig Brewer. Starring Samuel L. Jackson, Christina Ricci, and Justin Timberlake.

Well, this is... not a pretty movie. These are broken, screwed-up characters, and I'm not sure the movie holds out any hope to us about their ability to change and grow and be better people. That being said, however, it is a fascinating look at how people can *want* to change. There's a sense of "things can't keep going on like this" desperation running through this film, and as the characters reach out to each other and try to help each other in some way, maybe they'll occasionally get respite from their own demons.

I'm still processing this, and I'm sure I will be for several days. My thoughts on this are apparently more... philosophical than aesthetic or artistic, but before I wind up this review I do want to briefly mention that the acting in this flick is terrific, and the movie's use of music is smart and evokes just the perfect atmosphere. 3 stars.

Flickchart: #1098 out of 2046, below Talk to Her and above Funny Girl.

Rent on Amazon for $2.99.

No comments: