Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Muppet Treasure Island (1996)


IMDb plot summary: The Muppets' twist on the classic tale.
(That is the shortest IMDb plot summary I've ever seen.)
Directed by Brian Henson. Starring Tim Curry, Kevin Bishop, Billy Connolly, and the Muppets.

Ah, my first ever Muppet movie. I didn't really know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's a fun adventure with a good bunch of jokes for both kids and grown-ups, plenty of fun musical numbers, and lots of fun characters. When the humans are interacting with puppets, they play it with just the right mix of believability and over-the-top campiness. I was actually really impressed with the kid who played Jim Hawkins -- he wasn't annoying like I find most child actors. All in all, I wasn't wildly crazy about the movie, but I enjoyed it, and it made for quite a fun afternoon watch. 3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #716 out of 2049, below Kung Fu Hustle and above The Prestige.

Rent on Amazon for .99.

No comments: