Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Gandhi (1982)


IMDb plot summary: Biography of Mohandas K. Gandhi, the lawyer who became the famed leader of the Indian revolts against the British rule through his philosophy of nonviolent protest.
Directed by Richard Attenborough. Starring Ben Kingsley, Saeed Jaffrey, Roshan Seth, and Candice Bergen.

This movie took me by surprise. I often find biopics long and slow, but what I didn't anticipate was how much I would really enjoy the Gandhi character himself. I've had a conversation or two this week with friends lamenting the rather reactionary, quick-to-pick-a-fight attitude that's so prevalent on social media these days, and I found Gandhi's insistence on nonviolence and consideration for the lives and concerns of everyone to be beautifully refreshing. It really was an inspirational movie for me at this point in time, which was something I didn't see coming at all.

The story is told simply, but it's told well, moving along quickly from one segment to the next without a lot of downtime. There's a lot of life to be covered in these 3 hours, and there's definitely no wasted time or space in the flick. I'm not sure how often I'd rewatch it, since it DOES take up a good chunk of time, but I'm definitely glad I've finally seen it. 3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #654 out of 2048, below Junebug and above The Red Shoes.

Buy on Amazon for $6.99.

No comments: