Thursday, January 24, 2013

Zoolander (2001)

I realized when I rented this that I hadn't ever seen Ben Stiller being comedic. Even in the comedies I've seen him in, he's usually been the straight man. That being said, I *really* enjoyed this movie. Ben Stiller's portrayal of Derek Zoolander was wonderfully hilarious, and not nearly as over-the-top as I expected it to be. (Will Ferrell, on the other hand, goes way too far with his little role. Not a fan of that performance.) It was a funny script that made me laugh out loud several times, and while occasionally the jokes were a little predictable, overall the writing and performances were genuinely funny. 4 stars.

Best Part: For some reason, I completely lost it at, "What IS this, a center for ants?"
Worst Part: Even though the mocking of bulimia was apologized for later, I was really uncomfortable with that scene when it happened. Not funny.
Flickchart: #449, below 50/50 and above The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

No comments: