Thursday, January 24, 2013

At First Sight (1999)

I expected this movie to be much more melodramatic and cheesy than it was. While there were definitely a few overly sentimental moments, I found myself getting swept up in the story and wondering what it *would* be like to be experiencing sight for the first time ever. The romance is a key plotline, but it takes an appropriate back seat to the main character's story of seeing. I was very impressed with Val Kilmer, someone whose acting has never blown me away. Here he manages to make a likable but very relatable character I really rooted for. I'd comfortably recommend this movie as a pretty decent drama. 3.5 stars.

Best Part: I'm going to go with the character of Virgil. He was just a great person to have at the center of this story.
Worst Part: The confrontation with his father didn't work for me at all.
Flickchart: #687, below Rocky and above Hamlet (2000).

No comments: