Saturday, January 19, 2013

Roger Dodger (2002)

IMDB plot summary (because I keep forgetting to do this): After breaking up with his lover and boss, a smooth-talking man takes his teenaged nephew out on the town in search of sex.
Directed by Dylan Kidd. Stars Campbell Scott and Jesse Eisenberg.

I was told this movie was extremely funny, so I watched it... I think I maybe smiled once? Roger is a thoroughly despicable character, and I'm not sure whether it was supposed to be one of those things where I laughed because what he said was so outrageously horrific, or whether I was supposed to be sympathizing with him, or what. Either way, this movie just didn't work for me at all on a comedic level. On a dramatic one, I was interested in what was going on with Jesse Eisenberg's character, but not enough to make watching the movie worthwhile. 1.5 stars.

Best Part: The scene at the dinner table was fascinating to watch unfold. Not funny, but interesting.
Worst Part: I am not usually bothered by shaky handheld cameras, but it was distracting and uncomfortable here.
Flickchart: #1219, below The Swiss Family Robinson and above Winter Passing.

No comments: