Saturday, January 19, 2013

Hysteria (2011)

IMDB plot summary: The truth of how Mortimer Granville devised the invention of the first vibrator in the name of medical science.
Directed by Tanya Wexler. Starring Hugh Dancy, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Jonathan Pryce. 

This comedy/drama is far more entertaining than most true story period pieces - not because of the sensational story topic as much as because the characters were interesting and easy to get to like. Maggie Gyllenhaal's character is occasionally a little over-the-top, and the romance comes on much more quickly than makes a lot of sense, but overall it's a fun, interesting movie. 3 stars.

Best Part: I do think the history behind this whole story is fascinating, and this movie did a great job of telling that story.
Worst Part: I can't ever take big dramatic courtroom announcements seriously. I found myself rolling my eyes at that scene.
Flickchart: #960, below Extremities and above The Kids Are All Right.

No comments: