Friday, January 11, 2013

The Pirates of Penzance (1983)


There is nothing quite as satisfying for me as a good musical, and for some reason I always forget how much fun Gilbert & Sullivan are until I actually watch one of their shows. This is an excellent production of one of their greatest hits, with creative direction and choreography to match the outlandishness of the lyrics and music. Also, Kevin Kline completely deserved his Tony for this role - he is so much fun to watch. 4 stars.

Best Part: I had to look up the name of the number on Wikipedia, but "With cat-like tread, upon our prey we steal" was my favorite. Catchy, energetic, and vastly entertaining.
Worst Part: There is that interminably long duet between Frederic and Mabel in act two...
Flickchart: #346, below Hoodwinked! and above The Hand That Rocks the Cradle.

No comments: