Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Little Children (2006)

Spoilers ahead in this review.

This is a much darker movie than I was expecting. The characters are all in great pain, and generally looking to solve it in the least healthy manner possible. And though I think it's a wonderful portrayal of these characters, I'm not sure I understand what exactly the filmmaker wanted us to take from this. There's obviously *some* sort of message trying to be sent, and I suspect it's supposed to be wrapped up in that final line, which says we've all done bad things in the past. However, I'm not sure that line offers any kind of closure for the Patrick Wilson/Kate Winslet plotline. I don't know what I was hoping for as far as closure, but this wasn't it. Well-acted, interesting story, but I feel like I missed something. 3.5 stars.

Best Part: I really liked the use of voiceover narration here. It really helped to tie things together.
Worst Part: I didn't care at all for Kate Winslet's ending. It didn't seem to fit with the rest.
Flickchart: #542, below The Maltese Falcon and above The Adventures of Robin Hood.

No comments: