Thursday, January 24, 2013

Monster (2003)

I don't know that I could say I "enjoyed" this movie. It's dark and dingy and unpleasant... but it is fascinating, almost entirely because of Charlize Theron. She is a beautiful, classy actress, and here she completely transforms herself into an unattractive, awkward, angry woman. This is one of those instances where I truly forgot the actress who was playing her - she so perfectly embodied a completely new character. The story itself, like many true crime stories, has an unsatisfying story arc for my taste, but this is truly one of the greatest performances I have ever seen, and the movie is worth the watch just for her alone. 3 stars.

Best Part: Charlize Theron.
Worst Part: I dunno. There's something missing in the movie overall, but I can't necessarily pinpoint what.
Flickchart: #720, below Moneyball and above The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011).

No comments: