Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Girl, Interrupted (1999)

I'm fascinated by stories about psychological issues, and so I knew there was a good chance I'd enjoy this. And I did. I felt like all the different psychological disorders were treated very realistically, without overdramatizing them. This made it truly fascinating to watch. What an interesting set of characters. Winona Ryder was especially interesting as the main character - very relatable for me. The ending was hopeful without being overly sentimental. Overall, I really enjoy watching this and was impressed with it. 4 stars.

Best Part: The characterization, as stated above.
Worst Part: Though the characters themselves felt realistic, a few of the situations felt very contrived - the scene where they all sneak to the random bowling alley, for example. I was not at all surprised to learn that didn't happen in the original book.
Flickchart: #312, below Take Shelter and above Music & Lyrics.

No comments: