Wednesday, January 23, 2013

As Good as It Gets (1997)

This movie is well-intentioned, but it makes for a hecka weird romantic comedy. There may be enough laughs to make it worth it, but I am very tired of the whole "you fix the myriad of social and psychological disorders I have because LOVE" trope. Moment by moment, this movie is enjoyable, but as a whole, I found myself rolling my eyes and thinking, "Well, THAT'S cheesy," a whole lot more than I should have to. The emotional epiphanies are overwrought, the emotional connections are pretty forced, and although I enjoyed it, it was only because I was successfully overlooking its many flaws. 2.5 stars.

Best Part: Jack Nicholson was fascinating to watch, as he usually is.
Worst Part: Simon's sudden transformation from depressed artist into enlightened guru made zero sense.
Flickchart: #843, below Be Kind Rewind and above Quitting.

No comments: