Friday, June 1, 2012

Never Let Me Go (2010)


I hesitate to say much about the plot here, because it's only revealed a little bit at a time, and it was a good 40 minutes in before I *really* realized the extent of what was going on, and I'd hate to alter that experience for anyone. So I will just say this is an incredible little story about humanity and love and life. The casting choices were interesting, as well... the three main characters were played by two actors who I find incredibly engaging in everything they do and one who I nearly always despise. But Keira Knightley's smug demeanor works *for* her in this movie, and the three of them work together to form an incredibly interesting group of characters. I'm not even sure where to go with this review right now, because while I have all these emotional reactions to the movie, they're hard to articulate. I'm afraid this is going to be one of my less coherent movie blogs. I will have to try and revisit this again sometime. 4 stars.

Best Part: Andrew Garfield plays the most wonderful awkward introvert characters of all time. Between this and Boy A, I'm more than a little in love with him.
Worst Part: While the beginning and end of the movie are beautiful and fascinating, the middle part is a little bit more difficult to be interested in.
Flickchart: #291, below After the Fox and above M. Butterfly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only had a passing interest in this film for a long time. I had heard some mixed things about it, so the only reason I kind of wanted to see it was "well, Romanek made One Hour Photo, and I liked that one...".

But then I read the novel, and it was teriffic! So now I'm very eager to check out the movie version to see how it translates to the screen. Assuming the plot is remained faithful to, I can definitely understand not going into specifics here. Not knowing anything and gradually understanding the situation is very much the point of the story, I believe.

Hannah K said...

I want to read the book version of this, for sure, especially now that I know it was written by Kazuo Ishiguro. From what I understand in reviews, the book reveals its plot even more slowly than the movie does.