Saturday, June 2, 2012

Interstate 60: Episodes of the Road (2002)


15 minutes into this movie, I was completely befuddled. What kind of movie were they trying to make? Its set up is reminiscent of a 1960s live action Disney movie, but it clearly wasn't made for children. It's awkward and cliched and cheesy and bizarre... and yet it has an inexplicable charm. Even as I was yelling, "WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? THAT PART DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE!" I was kind of rooting for it. Part of that has to do with the fact that James Marsden makes a great hero, even when he's surrounded by nonsense. I ended up kind of liking this movie in spite of itself. Would I recommend it? Oh, heck no. It's sometimes painfully awkward to watch. But am I glad I watched it? ...Kind of.

Best Part: I was kind of captivated by the story featuring the mother chasing her son into the drug city. It's bizarre and awful, but definitely something I will remember.
Worst Part: All the mysterious saging around (and that's "saging," as in a pretend verb form of "sage") Christopher Lloyd and Gary Oldman do got real old, real fast. The movie became much more interesting when they weren't in it.
Flickchart: #836, below Amazing Grace and above The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

No comments: