Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)

I'm have a fair amount of ambivalence toward this movie. I absolutely loved parts of it - it *looks* absolutely stunning, and is extremely creative and entertaining, very much a new, stylish take on claassic kung fu/samurai movies. My problem with it... Well, I'm not usually one to complain about violence, but for me, the violence has to add something to the story. In Kill Bill, that doesn't seem to be the case. For the most part its extreme violence is simply because it *looks* cool, not because it's adding anything to either the plot or the characters. That's not a use I feel comfortable with (or interested in - I zoned out partway through the giant fight at O-Ren's). It's disappointing, because whenever there *aren't* giant geysers of blood shooting out of people, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. And I do definitely want to see the second part - the story aspect of it is pretty fascinating. It's hard to know where to rank it, so let's give it... 3 stars.


Best Part: The colors in this movie are striking. That seems like an odd thing to choose as a best part, but it really is.
Worst Part: ...Well, I covered most of that up there. If I'm choosing a specific moment, I'm going with the fight scene I zoned out of.

Flickchart: #686, below House of Flying Daggers and above Broken Arrow.

No comments: