Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011)

(Warning: spoilers for both this and Take Shelter, which I compare it to.)

This movie reminds me very much of Take Shelter, which I watched not too long ago. Both are about characters who are worrying they're mixing reality with what's in their head, while their family members try to help them but mostly just have to watch them fall apart. Then, in both cases, the movie ends after abruptly confirming that someone else sees the reality our protagnoist sees. Both movies left me going, "But - but what happens now?" However, Take Shelter wins this round because while I *liked* this movie, it didn't grip me on the same emotional level. It's slower and quieter and tells a great story, but at no point was I on the edge of my seat wanting to know what would happen next to Martha. 3.5 stars.

Best Part: The actress playing Martha does do a very good job. I believed her even when I wasn't lured in by the movie as a whole.
Worst Part: I really did feel cheated by that ending, more than I did by Take Shelter's.


Flickchart: #351, below Driving Miss Daisy and above Interview With the Vampire.

No comments: