Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Yellow Handkerchief (2008)


A little indie road trip drama that is extremely contrived and completely unoriginal, but not wholly *unpleasant* - there's just nothing really to see here. Kristen Stewart's acting is as lifeless as I was led to believe (I'd never actually seen her in anything), the plot doesn't make much sense, and William Hurt's character is uninteresting to watch. Honestly, the only character I cared about was Eddie Redmayne as an extremely awkward teenage boy (much more excited about seeing him in Les Miserables now), but he was the fourth billed character and certainly the least important of the three we followed most of the time. Disappointing, because I would easily have watched an entire movie with him as the central figure. Instead, I just sat patiently and waited for it to go somewhere. 2 stars.

Best Part: I'm going to have to go with that teenage boy character. He was easily the most captivating part of the film.
Worst Part: With William Hurt's back story all hyped up the way it was, the final reveal was extremely anticlimactic, and even shots of the two teenagers crying as they listened to it weren't enough to convince me otherwise.

Flickchart: #1250, below Deceived and above The Proposal.

No comments: