Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

I don't consider myself a Tarantino fan. I was so bored by Pulp Fiction that I've had to push myself to watch both this and Reservoir Dogs, the only other one I've seen of his. However, it might *just* be Pulp Fiction I don't like, because I liked Reservoir Dogs and LOVED this. A thoroughly compelling 2 1/2 hours. It's outrageous and ridiculous and a complete rewrite of history, alternatively awful in its gruesomeness, unexpectedly hilarious, and breathtakingly creative. Most of the many various characters aren't focused on long enough to really be interested in them, but the few we do see are great fun - particularly the Christoph Waltz and Brad Pitt characters. All in all, a wonderfully original film, and one that I'm glad I finally took the time to sit down and watch. 4.5 stars.

Best Part: I really think my favorite thing in the entire movie was Brad Pitt's Italian. Every time he said anything I cracked up.
Worst Part: I am not so much a fan of gore in my movies, and this one was definitely uncomfortable to watch sometimes. I cringed throughout the entire scene where Raine interrogates Bridget with his finger in her leg. It just HURT to watch.
Flickchart: #189, below Zombieland and above Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

2 comments:

Lesya said...

My favorite Tarantino film. LOVE IT.

Hannah K said...

Mine too, for sure!