Thursday, June 7, 2012

Marathon Man (1976)

This thriller takes a little while to get going, but once it does, it's fascinating. The beginning feels disjointed and hops around all over the place without giving me a good sense of who or what I was supposed to be paying attention to most. However, about halfway through the movie, everything comes together and the story starts to pick up a little. There are still a lot of awkward moments and some flaws in the story, but overall it turns into a pretty entertaining suspenseful story. 2.5 stars.

Best Part: Dustin Hoffman's reactions seemed to me to be very realistic. Obviously I've never been in this situation, but he acted exactly like I have always thought most people would under these circumstances - more paranoid and panicky than most every-day-guy-thrown-into-a-tense-situation movie characters.
Worst Part: There were several moments where it felt like the tension was being ramped up in a way that felt false to me - the scene where two old people simultaneously recognize Szell was one of those scenes. It didn't really contribute much to the story or the plot, it was just there as a mood thing, and it didn't work for me.

Flickchart: #806, below Runaway Jury and above Miss Potter.

2 comments:

Travis S. McClain said...

This is still on my To See list, but I've read William Goldman's Adventures in the Screen Trade. He was quite angry that Dustin Hoffman kept doing a lot of petty things to wear down Laurence Olivier so that the veteran actor was incapable of giving a performance at full strength. Hoffman did that because he was 1) arrogant about being a movie star and 2) insecure about being outperformed by Olivier. Ever since I read that, I've had a lowly opinion of Hoffman.

Hannah K said...

Sheesh. Yes, that's a terrible thing to do. Which is sad to know, because I love Dustin Hoffman. Heh.