Friday, June 29, 2012

Bridesmaids (2011)

I am generally very bored by femalecentric movies, and almost ALWAYS by femalecentric comedies, so it was definitely a nice surprise when this turned out to be fairly entertaining. However... along with the surprise was the disappointment that it wasn't funnier. I had kind of expected it to be an all-or-nothing thing; I'd either be totally bored or think it was hilarious, and instead it just settled in a middle-of-the-road pleasant comedy place. It's got quite a few good moments, yes, but goes on too long and also includes several laughs that just don't work for me at all. Very much in the middle on this one. 3.5 stars.

Best Part: My biggest laugh was her sleazy boyfriend thinking he was such hot stuff: "Can George Glass do this for you?" "Probably."
Worst Part: As I said, it all went on a little too long. I was ready for it to end about 1 1/2 in, but there was still a good 40 minutes left. That last 40 minutes dragged on foreverrrrr.
Flickchart: #419, below Shall We Dance? and above Evita. That is much too high, but it's partly to do with the fact that I've got The Tree of Life and Evita ranked too high. I should fix that.

1 comment:

Travis S. McClain said...

I've just come from reading your post elsewhere about shopping as an introvert, so I am very mindful that when I saw Bridesmaids it was during its theatrical run with a packed audience that loved it. The waves of laughter were such that I found myself caught up in laughing sometimes not even because I thought what was said or happening was funny, but because it was impossible not to laugh at everyone else laughing.

I know from my own experience that I am much less likely to actually laugh at a movie at home, and it's almost unheard of for me to laugh if I'm by myself at home. I know that whether I laugh (and how much) plays a key role in how I feel about a comedy.

Is it that way for you, as well? How do introverts handle comedies, given that they're disinclined to want to be around a bunch of laughing people?