Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

There aren't a lot of differences between the original version and this American remake, but I found myself enjoying it a bit more this time around. Part of it was, I'm sure, was that the complicated and character-heavy plot was much easier to follow the second time around. Secondly, Lisbeth seemed much *younger* in this one. Noomi Rapace had a deep self-assurance about her that always made her seem like she was in control. While Rooney Mara taps into some of that too, you really do get the sense that she's, above all else, a young woman who has no idea what she'd doing with her life - but great instincts that she follows through on. She seems extremely vulnerable and extremely strong simultaneously and becomes a much more interesting character. Overall, stylish, well done, and worth seeing. 3.5 stars.

Best Part: I *adore* the last few minutes of the movie, where Lisbeth goes to give Mikael his gift. Just beautifully done.
Worst Part: I just don't like Daniel Craig. I didn't like him as Bond, I don't like him in this. I am bored by him. While Michael Nyqvizt in the original was fascinating, Craig just never strikes me as anything more than a typical action star.
Flickchart: #643, below The Dresser and above Notes on a Scandal.

2 comments:

Lesya said...

I liked it much more than you did. In fact, it's one of my top favorites from last year, and I enjoyed it even more than the original.

As for Daniel Craig, I just don't find him good-looking, but as an actor he does really well. New Bond film is going to rock (I hope) under Sam Mendes' direction.

Anyways, nice review. I do like such brief ones.

Hannah K said...

I'm glad you enjoy the mini reviews! I occasionally try to write longer ones, but, really, I tend to be a very concise writer and just run out of things to say. So I finally decided to just embrace that and mostly just write the little ones. :-)