Friday, April 4, 2014

War of the Buttons (1994)


IMDb plot summary: Rival gangs of young Irish kids enjoin in constantly escalating battles that ultimately entails the removal of the buttons from the clothes of captured losers. While the shenanigans cause obvious problems, the two leaders of the groups nonetheless develop a grudging admiration of the other and an estranged friendship.
Directed by John Roberts. Starring Gregg Fitzgerald, Gerard Kearney, John Coffey, and Darragh Naughton.

For a movie with the word "war" in the title, this flick is oddly free of conflict. Oh, sure, the kids are fighting throughout the entire thing, but there never seems to be that much actual animosity, and even the big climactic moment toward the end is weirdly low-key. I have to admit, I may have come in with a bias since I love stories along the lines of The Chocolate War and Lord of the Flies, but I was definitely hoping for a little bit more bite to the story. Instead, it's very pleasant and mellow through. It wasn't unenjoyable or anything like that, it just... kind of sits there and doesn't go anywhere or evoke, really, any emotion at all in me. I could watch it again someday and probably enjoy it just as much, but it's not going to stick in my brain.

3 stars.

Flickchart: #1207 out of 2091, below Small Time Crooks and above Fun Size.

No comments: