Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Boondock Saints (1999)


IMDb plot summary: Fraternal twins set out to rid Boston of the evil men operating there while being tracked down by an FBI agent.
Directed by Troy Duffy. Starring Willem Defoe, Sean Patrick Flannery, Norman Reedus, and David Della Rocco.

This movie exemplifies why I have so enjoyed doing my movie challenge this year where my friends assign movies for me to watch. I would NEVER have picked this up on my own. It's a crime movie, and as others have discovered throughout the challenge, crime movies often don't sit well with me.

And somehow I ended up REALLY enjoying this. There's a delightfully manic energy throughout the whole thing. It's all very over-the-top and campy but it's so much fun. Willem Defoe is a blast to watch as the cop investigating all the murders. The movie's structure of letting him explain what happened as we watch it play out is smart, interesting, and entertaining.

I would never have guessed I'd like this as much as I did. I LOVE when movies surprise me like this. This could very well end up being my favorite from this week's movie challenges.

4 stars.

Flickchart: #537 out of 2119, below The Scarlet Pimpernel (1934) and above You Can't Take It With You.

No comments: