Saturday, April 5, 2014

The Ladykillers (1955)


IMDb plot summary: Five diverse oddball criminal types planning a bank robbery rent rooms on a cul-de-sac from an octogenarian widow under the pretext that they are classical musicians.
Directed by Alexander Mackendrick. Starring Alec Guinness, Herbert Lom, Cecil Parker, Peter Sellers, Danny Green, and Katie Johnson.

Oh, this movie is... just okay. I only finished watching it a few moments ago and I'm already having trouble remembering much of anything about it. I will admit that I actually really enjoy the Coen remake of this movie (though I seem to be the only one in the world who does). This original version, however, is *so* subdued that it doesn't really bring out much of the comedy at all. Katie Johnson is charming as Mrs. Wilberforce, and all my laughs came from her performance. The gang of criminals, however, are uninteresting and bland and not at all fun to watch. I had high hopes for this movie, so I was sad to have been so disappointed by it.

1.5 stars.

Flickchart: #1364 out of 2093, below Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier and above Baby Boom.

No comments: