Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Searchers (1956)


IMDb plot summary: A Civil War veteran embarks on a journey to rescue his niece from an Indian tribe.
Directed by John Ford. Starring John Wayne, Jeffrey Hunter, and Vera Miles.

It shouldn't come as much of a surprise to anyone that I wasn't crazy about this. Westerns are a difficult sell for me, and John Wayne is even more difficult. I will say the one thing that I thought was interesting was the tiny bit they did to show the impact on the girls of being kidnapped and made to live with the Indians. I was *much* more interested in that story than in the story of the searchers.

I can't really say anything *against* this movie. It wasn't at all bad, but nor did it ever do anything to make me like it despite its westernness. My ranking here is entirely based on my own genre biases, not indicative of its objective worth.

1 star.

Flickchart: #1720 out of 2108, below Hercules and above Nicholas Nickleby.

No comments: