Monday, April 28, 2014

Ender's Game (2013)


IMDb plot summary: Young Ender Wiggin is recruited by the International Military to lead the fight against the Formics, a genocidal alien race which nearly annihilated the human race in a previous invasion.
Directed by Gavin Hood. Starring Asa Butterfield, Harrison Ford, Hailee Steinfeld, and Abigail Breslin.

It's been quite a few years since I read the books, and I really only remembered the basic outline of the plot, so, fortunately, the movie stayed fairly new to me. The story remains one of my favorites, though I wish the movie had kept it focused on Ender rather than the military people themselves -- that's where the real story is. Additionally, this would have given the movie time to explore Ender's character. He comes across as a bit of a non-entity here.

The visual effects are great and fit well into the movie -- the final space battle looks really amazing, and when we finally see a Formic, it impressed me in a way that not a lot of movie aliens do, even given the somewhat generic design.

Overall, a solid adaptation, though I feel the script could have been tightened up a bit to make it stronger.

3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #931 out of 2118, below Star Trek: Generations and above Father of the Bride Part II.

No comments: