Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Born Yesterday (1950)


IMDb plot summary: A million dollar Tycoon hires a tutor to teach his lover proper etiquette.
Directed by George Cukor. Starring Judy Holliday, Broderick Crawford, and William Holden.

This was wildly uneven for me. There were some parts that made me smile and laugh and think, "This is great," but there were also a lot of parts that I just didn't find entertaining at all, even though there were clearly supposed to be jokes in there. It also took a good 40 minutes for me to get into the swing of the movie. Toward the end the script keeps trying to veer away from its comedic roots and make serious, preachy statements about corrupt businessmen being bad, which would have been a lot more annoying if they hadn't included *just* enough funny lines to break it up a little bit... I still feel it was awkward, though.

I feel like this might gel with me better on a rewatch, now that I know what to expect. I could see really getting into the little comedic nuances of Judy Holliday's performance. This first time through, though, it was on-and-off enough that it's not going to get ranked super high.

3 stars.

Flickchart: #920 out of 2096, below Father of the Bride Part II and above Inside Llewyn Davis.

No comments: