Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Beaches (1988)


IMDb plot summary: A privileged rich debutante and a cynical struggling entertainer share a turbulent, but strong childhood friendship over the years.
Directed by Garry Marshall. Starring Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey.

Meh, this was OK. I thought the movie did a decent job of showing the span of these women's lives, but it's somewhat lacking when it comes to showing their actual friendship in action. About a third of their interaction is them fighting, and most of the rest of the movie is the two of them doing their own thing. I just kept thinking to myself, "Why are they still friends, much less working so hard to stay that way?" Because of that, I never really felt the emotional pull I was supposed to feel as the story progressed, and so it didn't really do anything for me. But then again, I suspect I am far from the ideal audience for most chick flick tearjerkers. It did have some good musical performances from Bette Midler, though.

2 stars.

Flickchart: #1333 out of 2106, below The Whole Nine Yards and above Throw Momma From the Train.

No comments: