Saturday, April 12, 2014

Captain Phillips (2013)


IMDb plot summary: The true story of Captain Richard Phillips and the 2009 hijacking by Somali pirates of the US-flagged MV Maersk Alabama, the first American cargo ship to be hijacked in two hundred years.
Directed by Paul Greengrass. Starring Tom Hanks, Barkhad Abdi, Barkhad Abdirahman, Faysal Ahmed, and Mahat M. Ali.

(Some spoilers about the final scene.)

This is a pretty solid thriller, but it's also pretty typical in how it plays out, so I'm not sure it deserved a Best Picture nomination. The one scene that I will say had a huge impact on me was at the very end when he's in shock and getting his medical examination. I found that an extremely moving scene, and a very emotionally appropriate end to the story. As for the rest of it, there's nothing really wrong with it, it just didn't capture my attention the way I hoped it would.

3 stars.

Flickchart: #924 out of 1101, below Father of the Bride Part II and above Born Yesterday.

No comments: