Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Swingers (1996)


IMDb plot summary: Wannabe actors become regulars in the stylish neo-lounge scene; Trent teaches his friend Mike the unwritten rules of the scene.
Directed by Doug Liman. Starring Jon Favreau, Vince Vaughn, Ron Livingston, and Patrick Van Horn.

Well, I was clearly not in the right mood to watch this movie, as I spent most of it being unbelievably annoyed with Vince Vaughn. Usually the guy doesn't bother me, even when he's playing arrogant jerks like he is in this flick, but for some reason everything about his performance REALLY rubbed me the wrong way here, with his stupid catch phrases and his stupid dating rules. Jon Favreau's character is likable and interesting, and I was rooting for him, but I spent most of the time wishing he'd just leave his friends behind and go do his own thing because he was CLEARLY better than all of them. This is one of those situations where I have trouble even figuring out how to rate it, because I was so distracted by unlikable characters that I didn't even really pay that much attention to the rest of the movie. So it'll get a lowish ranking and I'll leave it at that.

1.5 stars.

Flickchart: #1383 out of 2121, below Treasures of the Snow and above Superman Returns.

No comments: