Thursday, February 28, 2013

The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005)

And here I break my streak of 3.5 star movies over the last 2 days. Sometimes I enjoy Apatow, and sometimes his stuff is just too much and I just can't take it. This one is much closer to the latter. The first 30 minutes or so were raunchy enough that it made me uncomfortable (which doesn't happen often) and even though it got a little better after that, it was never really that *funny*. Steve Carell plays a likable main character and I found myself rooting for him and hating everyone around him, all of which seemed like they were *trying* to make him unhappy and uncomfortable. There are some good moments here and there and a satisfying ending to the story, but overall not worth the watch. 1.5 stars.

Flickchart: #1117 out of 1872, below A Shot in the Dark and above The Lost Boys.

No comments: