Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927)

I am usually uninterested in silent dramas - I find the early film acting styles to be completely off-putting when trying to create a legitimate dramatic situation - but this one is extremely sweet. It's an unusual love story, in that it starts off as being not really a love story at all, and then becomes a very moving tale of a husband and wife rediscovering their love. Really very, very nice. 4 stars.

Flickchart: #502 out of 1842.

2 comments:

Travis S. McClain said...

I saw this a few years ago, for an Academy Awards viewing challenge. I had to resort to streaming it in segments on YouTube, but even in that awful format I was completely invested in the story. This one got under my skin very quickly. It's alternately charming and sweet, then heartbreaking. I tend to have a low threshold for tolerating melodrama, but it works magnificently here. I keep hoping a copy of this will turn up on DVD whenever I browse used video stores.

Hannah K said...

Yeah, I'm generally not big on melodrama at all. I'm pretty sure this is the first non-horror non-comedy silent flick I've ever really liked. Totally works here.