Monday, February 25, 2013

Three Colors: Red (1994)

Spoilers ahead.

I haven't seen either of the other two in the Three Colors trilogy, but I'd been told it was safe to watch them all separately, so when this came up in my romance movie challenge, I decided to watch it.

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot. The dynamic between Valentine and the old judge was fascinating, and whenever the movie focused on them, I loved it. However, the side plot with Auguste was completely confusing. He didn't show up enough for me to even remember who he was half the time (I kept trying to remember anything he'd done before) and then I started wondering if he was the judge from the past, as they seemed to have the exact same life history and I couldn't remember if we'd ever seen them together. In the end, I had to use Wikipedia to figure out what was actually going on, and I'm still not sure he was at all necessary except to perhaps hint at a future romance between him and Valentine. Take him out of the equation and I really enjoyed the movie. Add him back in and it gets a little iffier. 3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #614 out of 1867, below Witness for the Prosecution and above Taxi Driver.

No comments: