Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pierrot le Fou (1965)

This is my second Godard film I've seen and it didn't fare any better than the other (Band of Outsiders). The almost-narrative is covered with bizarre scenes and moments that kept making me say, "What does THAT mean?" out loud. People die and I don't know why. People quote things and none of it connects. Small Asian men with guns are suddenly in people's houses reading typewriter printouts and I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON. I can' t make any sense of what's going on, but neither can I let go of the linear narrative and try to construct an emotional response, because every time I tried to do that, it returned to the narrative and pretended that it was a straightforward story again for a little bit. This might have all sorts of important meaning, but I wasn't able to follow this on either a cognitive or instinctive level, and that just made for an infuriating movie viewing experience. 0.5 stars.

Flickchart: #1702 out of 1866, below Dumbo and above Watership Down.

No comments: