Wednesday, February 20, 2013

In a Lonely Place (1950)

Once more, I am reminded that it's not film noir I don't like... it's film noir about detectives. Focus on another character and tell a noir kind of story, and I am all ears, as I was with this story of a writer who falls in love after being accused of murder. As I watched it, I kept thinking of Spellbound, a movie that in some ways has a very similar theme but takes a very different path through it. This one was far more satisfying, and I found myself completely wrapped up in the story. The ending scene is wonderful - suspenseful and then wraps up the story in a way that is very interesting and poignant. I thoroughly enjoyed this, and I suspect that with a few more viewings under my belt in the next couple years, it could end up a favorite. 4 stars.

Flickchart: #414 out of 1862, below Looper and above Rise of the Guardians.

No comments: