Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Lady Vanishes (1938)

This is a cute romance almost as much as it is a mystery, and it's completely delightful. The main characters are likable and even when the thriller part of it gets going, there's a strong sense that most of the characters aren't in any real danger. All you have to do is sit back and enjoy figuring the mystery out with them. A much lighter tone than a lot of later Hitchcocks, but thoroughly enjoyable. 3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #511, below Night of the Living Dead and above Dark Shadows.

2 comments:

Travis S. McClain said...

Spot-on! We watched this last year in the "You Mean You Haven't Seen...?!" group (which I really need to resurrect!) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was a great sense of fun to it all, and I have to say that I didn't anticipate the finale at all. I've finally seen a handful of Hitchcock's most acclaimed films (Vertigo, The Birds, Psycho), but for my money The Lady Vanishes eclipses them all.

Hannah K said...

While The Lady Vanishes isn't my favorite Hitchcock by far, I'm quite happy declaring it my favorite of his early ones.