Friday, February 22, 2013

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)

At first I wasn't terribly impressed with this movie. Then it hit the halfway mark and suddenly the story got very interesting. Sean Penn's character is front and center, but he was just filler for what was, in my opinion, the much more interesting characters: Jennifer Jason Leigh and Judge Reinhold. They both had interesting arcs without being overly dramatic. Leigh's story drove the rest of the movie and Reinhold's closed it out solidly. Not the best high school coming-of-age movie by far, but it had some good moments. 3 stars.

Flickchart: #694 out of 1864, below Holiday Inn and above Must Love Dogs.

2 comments:

Travis S. McClain said...

There were some solid ideas here, but it truthfully bored me. I rarely use terms like "overrated", but that's about the best characterization I have for how I feel about the popularity of Sean Penn's performance here. I just did not connect with this film much at all.

Hannah K said...

Exactly. I do *not* understand why Sean Penn is the one everyone is drawn to here.