Sunday, February 17, 2013

Ruby Sparks (2012)

Definite spoilers ahead. This movie is best if you watch it knowing nothing about it.

I really, really enjoyed this flick. It took all my biggest pet peeves about the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope and turned them upside down, creating a thoroughly compelling story. In many ways, it felt like a Woody Allen flick - not quite so much uber intellectual discussion, but the overall message and the blend of fantasy and reality felt very much like his style. I'm not entirely pleased about the ending (I don't think he deserves his dream girl just for doing one single unselfish thing in his life), but I suppose the romance fans have to be appeased a bit, and I liked the rest of it so much I'm willing to mostly let that slide. 4 stars.

Flickchart: #380 out of 1859, below Melancholia and above Super 8.

No comments: