Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Moonrise Kingdom (2012)

I'm not a huge Wes Anderson fan. This is the fourth movie of his I've seen but only the second one I've enjoyed (the other being The Royal Tenenbaums). I always feel like he's trying to make a deep point but drowns in his own quirkiness trying to get there. In Tenenbaums, I enjoyed the quirkiness enough that I didn't mind that his point never really made it. In Moonrise Kingdom, however, I didn't feel the attempt at preaching come through at all. It was just a charming, enjoyable story about two young runaways and the community surrounding them. I enjoyed it a lot, particularly the relationship dynamic between the two kids. 4 stars.

Flickchart: #471 out of 1841, below Forgiving Dr. Mengele and above The Great Mouse Detective.

No comments: